OpenSignal Inc. respects your privacy. This policy explains the privacy practices of OpenSignal Inc. ("OpenSignal") on www.weathersignal.com (the "Website") and with respect to OpenSignal's mobile application “WeatherSignal” (the "Application") (collectively referred to as "the Services"). It describes how OpenSignal collects and uses your personal information and the rights and options available to you.
This policy is incorporated in OpenSignal’s Terms of Service (the "Terms of Service" or the "Terms").
In this policy, the term 'personal information' (or 'personally identifiable information') means any information that, with reasonable efforts, may be used to identify you, such as a first and last name, home address and email address.
PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE
When you register with the Services, OpenSignal may ask you to provide certain contact and personal details, such as mobile device number and e-mail address. Bear in mind that false, incorrect, or out dated information may impair OpenSignal's ability to provide you with the Services and to contact you when necessary.
Further information may be collected when OpenSignal exchange communications with you, for example, if you submit a request, contact OpenSignal's support team, or report a violation to the abuse team.
PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT YOU SHARE
The Services are based on users' locations and submissions, including user submissions made to third party services (such as social networks) which interact with the Service upon such users' choice, all of which may include personal information. You may upload and share content, such as Speed Tests, with other users on social media. The content that you share over social media should be treated as neither private nor confidential and you should not have any expectation of privacy with respect to it. Therefore, you must exercise caution and common sense when submitting information. At the very least you should demonstrate the same degree of caution as when publishing personal information by means other than the Internet and cellular services. OpenSignal may make certain content that you submit for posting viewable to all Internet users.
In any event (but except as detailed below with respect to information shared from your social network accounts according to your privacy settings for such social network accounts), your email address or mobile device number will not be visible to others through any reports or user posts that you share or upload.
We, at OpenSignal, take great measures to provide you with the best experience you can have while using the Service; However, OpenSignal has no control over the conduct of any user, and disclaims all liability in this regard. Users are advised to carefully and thoroughly consider whether or not to make public or available any information and carefully examine all necessary details related to any communication with other users prior to any engagement or communication being made.
Participating in any user's activities as a result, directly or indirectly, from using OpenSignal, is entirely at your own risk. OpenSignal is not a party to any agreement entered into between the users in any circumstances. The user has the sole and ultimate responsibility regarding compliance with all laws, regulation or any other duty. We do not accept any liability for any loss, damage, cost or expense that you may suffer or incur as a result of or in connection with your participation in any activity or event initiated, held or conducted by a user or a third party nor in connection to any agreement between the users or third parties, including any activity or event related in any way, directly or indirectly, the Services or the use thereof.
LOCATION BASED AND SENSOR INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you use your mobile device with a copy of the Application installed, OpenSignal collects your location and sensor information. OpenSignal uses that information to provide you and other users with the Services. OpenSignal may make use of your location and/or sensor information to create aggregated anonymous data and to use such data in accordance with this policy (please refer to use of aggregated information chapter hereunder). OpenSignal will make commercially reasonable efforts to permanently remove or obscure your identity from your location or sensor information that is used for aggregated purposes.
OPTING OUT OF LOCATION AND SENSOR INFORMATION SERVICES BY UNINSTALLING THE APPLICATION OR CHANGING SETTINGS
At all times you may uninstall the Application, by using the Application's uninstall option, or by using the programs removal feature of your operating system. Following the uninstallation process, OpenSignal will not be able to collect any further location or sensor information from you.
At all times you may change how much and how often information is shared by the app by using the Application’s internal settings. There is no obligation to share any sensor or location information with us, and all location and sensor information shared with us is therefore with the consent of the user and governed by the terms of the “aggregated information” section hereunder.
INTEGRATION WITH SOCIAL NETWORKS
You may choose to share information between the Application and your social network account (such as Facebook). Through this option, you may choose to have personal information and other content about you available from social networks, transmitted and shared through the Services. Similarly, you may choose to have personal information and other content about you available from OpenSignal, including your location and submitted network information, transmitted to and shared through your social network account.
When you connect to the social network account through the Services for the first time or otherwise make the Services interact with your social network account, you will be asked to permit the social network to share your personal information stored on such social network with the Services. We collect your information from your social networks account only in accordance with your privacy settings you have set up under your social networks accounts. Accordingly we only collect such information which you allowed the social network(s) to share with third parties (such as your name, email address, list of friends, profile picture, other information you make publicly available via the applicable social network and/or other information you authorize us to access by authorizing the social network to provide such information) subject to the privacy settings that you have set in such social network accounts.
META-DATA THAT WE COLLECT
OpenSignal collects information about the use of the Services. For example, OpenSignal may record the frequency and scope of your use of the Services, the duration of your sessions, the web pages that you visit, information that you read, content that you use or create, advertisements that you view or click on, your communications with other users and third parties, the Internet protocol (IP) address and the name of the domain that serve you to access the Services, and the geographic location of the computer system that you are using to log-in. Such data is usually automatically collected and stored in log files of the Services' computer servers.
WHAT DOES OPENSIGNAL DO WITH YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION?
OpenSignal may use your personally identifiable information for the following purposes only:
- to operate the Services and to improve and customize your experience with the Services, as well as the experience of other users;
- to provide you with support and handle request and complaints;
- to send you updates, notices, announcements, and additional information related to the Services;
- to send you marketing and advertising material through e-mail messages, subject to your prior indication of consent. At any time you may opt out of the Services' mailing lists, by changing your preferences in your personal account or by sending OpenSignal a written notice to email@example.com In any case, OpenSignal will not knowingly share your personal identifiable details with any advertisers, without your explicit consent;
- to conduct surveys and questionnaires;
- to contact you when OpenSignal believes it to be necessary;
- to comply with any applicable law and assist law enforcement agencies under any applicable law, when OpenSignal has a good faith belief that OpenSignal’s cooperation with the law enforcement agencies is legally mandated or meets the applicable legal standards;
- to prevent fraud, misappropriation, infringements, identity theft and other illegal activities and misuse of the Services;
- to handle breakdowns and malfunctions;
- to take any action in any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind between you and the Service, or between you and other users or third parties with respect to, or in relation with the Service;
SHARING INFORMATION WITH OTHERS
OpenSignal does not sell, rent or lease your personally identifiable information to third parties for any of their marketing purposes.
OpenSignal will not share your personally identifiable information with others, without your consent, except for the following purposes and to the extent necessary in OpenSignal's good-faith discretion:
- When you use the Services, when you take part in content-related activities, when it is necessary to facilitate the functionality of the Services and when it is necessary to manage and administer the Services OpenSignal provides;
- If OpenSignal is required, or reasonably believes that it is required by law to share or disclose your information;
- In any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind between you and OpenSignal, or between you and other users with respect to, or in relation with the Services;
- In any case where OpenSignal reasonably believes that sharing information is necessary to prevent imminent physical damage or damage to property;
- If OpenSignal organizes the operation of the Services within a different framework, or through another legal structure or entity, or if OpenSignal is acquired by, or merged into or with another entity, or if OpenSignal enters bankruptcy, provided however, that those entities agree to be bound by the provisions of this policy, with respective changes taken into consideration;
- OpenSignal may also share personally identifiable information with companies or organizations connected or affiliated with OpenSignal, such as subsidiaries, sister-companies and parent companies. Personally identifiable information may also be shared with OpenSignal's other partners and service providers, with the express provision that their use of such information must comply with this policy.
HOW DOES OPENSIGNAL USE AGGREGATED INFORMATION?
OpenSignal may use anonymous, statistical or aggregated information to properly operate the Services, to improve the quality of the Services, to enhance your experience, to create new services and features, including customized services, to change or cancel existing content or service, and for further internal, commercial and statistical purposes.
OpenSignal may also use anonymous, statistical or aggregated information collected on the Services, by posting, disseminating, transmitting or otherwise communicating or making available such information to users of the Services, to the Services' providers, partners and any other third party.
OpenSignal will retain location and device information for the duration it deems necessary for its reasonable business needs. Thereafter, your location and device information is anonymized.
OpenSignal may at all times review, retain and disclose any other information as OpenSignal deems necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request and OpenSignal's needs and necessities. By doing so OpenSignal does not either expressly or impliedly endorse, affirm or in any manner assume any responsibility for such communications.
The cookies may contain a variety of information, such as the content of search queries, the Website's pages you have accessed, session durations and IP addresses.
Some of the cookies may expire when the session ends and you exit your browser. Other cookies are saved on your computer's hard drive. If you wish to block the Website's cookies, then please use the help button in your browser and follow the necessary instructions. However, bear in mind that disabling cookies may complicate or even prevent your use of the Website, or certain features thereof.
OpenSignal considers information security to be a top priority. OpenSignal implements systems, applications and procedures to secure your personal information, to minimize the risks of theft, damage, loss of information, or unauthorized access or use of information. However, these measures are unable to provide absolute assurance. Therefore, although OpenSignal takes great efforts to protect your personal information, OpenSignal cannot guarantee and you cannot reasonably expect that the OpenSignal's databases will be immune from any wrongdoings, malfunctions, unlawful interceptions or access, or other kinds of abuse and misuse.
OpenSignal may from time to time change the terms of this policy. Substantial changes will take effect 30 days after OpenSignal has posted an initial notification on the Website's homepage or any other relevant web pages. Other changes will take effect 7 days after their initial posting on the Website. However, if OpenSignal amends this policy to comply with legal requirements, the amendments will become effective immediately upon their initial posting, or as required.
You agree to be bound by any of the changes made in the terms of this policy. Continuing to use the Services will indicate your acceptance of the amended terms. If you do not agree with any of the amended terms, you must avoid any further use of the Services.
Last modified: July 11th, 2013